The end of our school year is just around the corner. That give me thoughts of the future. We are loosing several teachers this year, and for us that could be a problem. Since I have been divorced ,there have been many times I have needed to and thought about going to public school. The fact is that in public school I could make 2 and 1/2 times what I make now. But I keep choosing to stay..........ask why? As I ride my motorcycle around our state, I see many small delta town with store windows boarded up, houses empty, and streets empty. I wonder why..........but it is so clear.........they have NO school. If you look at any community, when the school or hospital are closed the town Dies. So far here in our area we are lucky ....we still have both. People have moved from Belzoni and this area, but it has been due to the economy. Even with our lack of new jobs or industry we still have our SCHOOL.
So to me........this is why I stay. This is my home and it is up to me to help keep it alive. I love the kids....know most of the families......and it is after all my home. I just keep telling myself that as long as I can make it and pay my bills ...........I have to do my part.
I do understand why people make other choices.........heaven knows there are days I wish I could. But I stay..............I have to try to get that one child to learn all I have to give. We all say kids of today are different...............and YES they are....but their world is different.
I know if I expect more of them ............they will step up to the plate and achieve all they can.
You can look at our staff and see that is it made up of home town people..........there is a reason for this.......it is OUR SCHOOL and OUR COMMUNITY.
So yes......kids...........you will have to put up with mean Ole Ms Mac again next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well Mrs. Mc, you taught my class from the, I think, 4th grade to the 9th grade and I must say that I learned so much. HA is very fortunate to have you and I'm glad that you are sticking around. I think they should let you run the whole place. ;)
I love reading your blog. It's so apparent what gives you joy in life - family (especially that pretty grandbaby), friends, yard/garden, happy times. It's a shame that others don't find the treasure in such simple, yet priceless, treasures.
By the way.....thank you for your dedication to our kids (certainly that one of mine - haha). Your efforts are noticed!
Renee
Post a Comment